As part of our Dine With Us series London based food writer Mizue Kanazawa
shares with us a delicious recipe combining simple Japanese ingredients with
the best in seasonal produce.
Serve as an accompaniment or double up and enjoy with crusty bread for a
comforting main course.
2 large aubergines
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the miso sauce:
2 tablespoons miso
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon sake
1 tablespoon mirin
Roasted sesame seeds
Preheat the oven to 240℃ / 220℃ fan / gas mark 9.
- To make the miso sauce, put the miso, sugar, sake and mirin in a small bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds and then mix together.
- Halve the aubergine vertically and score the soft flesh side.
- Soak the aubergines in water for 5 minutes then drain and remove any excess moisture with a kitchen towel.
- Place the aubergines skin side down on an oven tray and brush on the oil.
- Bake for about 20 minutes in a preheated oven.
- Add the miso sauce and bake for another 5 minutes in the oven.
- Sprinkle the chives or roasted sesame seeds on top and enjoy!
Visit Mizue Kanazawa YouTube channel for more simple Japanese recipes: