As part of our Dine With Us series London based food writer Mizue Kanazawa shares with us a delicious recipe combining simple Japanese ingredients with the best in seasonal produce.
1 fennel bulb
200ml vegetable oil for deep-frying
For the miso dipping sauce:
2 tablespoons miso
1 tablespoon sake
1 tablespoon mirin
1 tablespoon brown sugar
For the tempura batter:
25g plain flour
40~50ml cold spring water
- Mix all the ingredients for the miso dipping sauce in a saucepan.
- Heat the pan over a low heat and cook for about 1 min, then set aside.
- To make the batter, roughly mix the flour and spring water with chopsticks.
- Halve the fennel, leaving the core, so it doesn’t fall apart, slice vertically into 1cm pieces.
- Coat with the batter mix and deep fry the fennels. Serve immediately with the miso dipping sauce.
Visit Mizue Kanazawa YouTube channel for more simple Japanese recipes: